You Always Have Time for Safety
Here are a few safety tips for an enjoyable river trip.
When you arrive at Tip-A-Canoe you will receive a thorough briefing from our expert staff and view a helpful video that will illustrate many aspects of river safety.
NEVER dive or jump into the water. The river water may be foggy making it hard to see the bottom. The Harpeth River is shallow in places.
We recommend that you do not paddle alone. Bring your friends.
Respect private property- Do not trespass.
Wear shoes! Avoid sandals. Old sneakers are best.
Bring drinking water in non-breakable containers. Coolers are suggested. Alcohol is not allowed on the river or in State Parks.
Leave all items not needed on the river locked in your car. Remember, everything you take on the river is at risk of getting lost or wet. We have waterproof cameras and dry bags available for purchase.
ALWAYS wear a properly fitted and Coast Guard approved
Personal Flotation Device (PFD) at all times when on and
around the water.
Tennessee State Law requires children age 12 and under to
wear life jackets at all times. We provide life jackets for children
weighing at least 30 pounds.
There must be someone at least 13 years of age in every boat. This includes rental and personal craft.
By TN Law: Outfitters shall not lease or rent to an individual less than 16 years of age unless the individual is accompanied by someone at least 18 years of age.
On *Experienced Only* Days, which are higher water days, everyone must be at least 13 years of age. Everyone must be able to control a boat in moving water. We will notify all reservations in advance of these conditions.
Review the river map. Know where your float trip will take you, where to get out, and emergency routes in case of mishap. River maps available at no charge.
Take a litter bag with you, use it, and dispose of it when finished.
COVID - 19 Information
Due to COVID-19, for the safety of our customers and staff, Tip-A-Canoe will follow the guidelines stated below:
- Each person must have a mask on while inside the store and inside the van.
- Upon request, vans may be able to transport only one group at a time. This may not be feasible at all times. Please make this request in advance.
* At the store
- Whenever possible, only one person from each group should be in the store.
- Release forms should be filled out in the parking lot and given to the one person coming inside to pay.
- Please have one payment ready. This will expedite check in and limit contact.
- A staff member will direct you to paddles and life jackets to limit touching of gear.
- We are reservation only during this time.
- You may be able to make same day reservations.
- Please be on time. If you are late, you risk losing your reservation.